Cyber Security Tip #21: Surf Safe on the Internet
It’s important to verify the sites you visit on the Internet. A certain amount of information (such as your IP address and domain name) is automatically sent when you connect. Web sites can also track the pages you visit, determine the version of your browser and operating system, and even compromise files and passwords.
Below are a few helpful tips on how to keep safe on the Internet:
• Keep your operating system updated and patched.
• Use anti-virus and anti-spyware software and keep them updated.
• Do not visit un-trusted websites or follow links provided by unknown or un-trusted sources.
• Keep your applications (programs) updated and patched, particularly if they work with your browser such as multi-media programs used for viewing videos.
• Block pop-up windows, some of which may be malicious and hide attacks. This may block malicious software from being downloaded to your computer.