Cyber Security Tip #3: Protect Your Children Online
It is important to talk to your children about online safety and let them know that you can be approached with questions about behaviors or problems that they may encounter when online. Parents can teach their children how to safely use a computer and the Internet.
The Multi-State Information Sharing and Analysis Center listed some simple steps that parents can take to help reduce security risk to children. They are:
• Keep your computer in a central and open location in your home and be aware of other computers your child may be using.
• Discuss and set guidelines and rules for computer use with your child. Post these rules by the computer as a reminder.
• Use the Internet with your child. Familiarize yourself with your child’s online activities and maintain a dialogue with your child about what applications they are using.
• Implement parental control tools that are provided by some Internet Service Providers and available for purchase as separate software packages.
• Consider using software that allows you to monitor your child’s e-mail and Web traffic.